50 Names That Mean Blue for Your Little One
From sky blue to the blue of the ocean or blue fire, here are 50 names that mean blue for boys, girls, and gender-neutral options.
Updated December 23, 2022
If you’re looking for a unique baby name that reminds you of your baby's beautiful blue eyes, the deep ocean, or a blue fire and flame, a baby name meaning blue could be just the right one for you!
When you think blue, you may associate it with open spaces and expansiveness like the sky. For many people, blue can also be the color of wisdom, calmness, and confidence. Blue definitely gives off calming vibes, and blue-inspired names for girls and boys have been used across many cultures in different languages.
In 2012, superstar Beyonce made headlines for naming her first-born daughter Blue Ivy. While speculation flew on why she would have chosen that name, she cleared it up by posting an excerpt from Rebecca Solnit’s novel A Field Guide to Getting Lost. The paragraph begins with, “The world is blue at its edges and in its depths…,” and goes on to say “the blue at the farthest reaches of the places where you see for miles, the blue of distance. This light does not touch us, does not travel the whole distance, the light that gets lost gives us the beauty of the world, so much of which is in the color blue.”
Whether you take inspiration from that excerpt too or have your own reasons behind choosing a name that means blue, we’ve compiled a list of 50 boy, girl, and gender-neutral baby names that mean blue for you to look through.
Girl Names That Mean Blue
- Afina - Romanian, Hebrew, means “blueberry”! What an adorably unique name!
- Amrin - Muslim, a lovely quite girl, a “blue sky”
- Atasi - Indian, Hindu, means “blue flower”
- Azura - Spanish, means “sky blue”
- Azure - Spanish, another variation that means “sky blue”
- Bleu - French, word for “blue”
- Bluebell - English, named for the beautiful blue flower!
- Bluesette - American, a wonderful choice for jazz-loving parents, this is a laid back baby girl name
- Claramay - English, means “bright, beloved”, it is the mixture of pink and blue
- Cyane - Greek, means “a bright shade of blue”
- Doli - Native American, Navajo, another name that means “bluebird”
- Firuzeh - Persian, means “turquoise”, the blue-green precious stone we see in jewelry
- Iris - Ancient Greek, “symbol of power” also named after the blue flower
- Lapis - Egypt, after the beautiful lapis lazuli gemstone, “dark blue”
- Marilee - Welsh, means “star of the sea” related to the names Mari, Marilyn, & Mary
- Maya - Hebrew, Spanish, Greek, means “water” like the deep blue sea!
- Mazarine - French, describes a deep dark shade of blue
- Neela /Nila - Hindi, Sanskrit, African, means “blue bird” or “sapphire blue”
- Neelu - Hindu, means “diamond” and describes a gloomy shade of blue/green
- Nilam/Neelam - Muslim, meaning a “lighter shade of blue”, a beautiful choice
- Okelani - Hawaiian, means “from Heaven” like the sky above!
- Owaissa - Native American Legend of Owaissa, means “BlueBird”
- Ruka - Japanese, often used as a spiritual derived named this one describes a bright blue flower
- Sini - Finnish, a more feminine version of “Sinkka” means “blue” often used poetically
- Sunil - Sanskrit means “dark blue” or “sapphire”
Boy Names That Mean Blue
- Aouli - Hawaiian, describing the expansiveness of the dazzling blue sky
- Azul - Spanish, just like the feminine version, this name means “BLUE”!
- Azraq - Arabic, means “blue” or “pure”
- Cyan - English, means “greenish blue”
- Gorman - Irish, Gaelic, means “small blue-eyed one”
- Hinto - Native American, name to describe beautiful blue eyes, “blue-haired”
- Indivar/Indeevar - Hindi, means “blessing” and “blue lotus”
- Jaibrian - Arabic, means “bluebird” or “noble, strength”
- Jalaneel - Latin, describes the deep blue of the stormy oceans
- Linnaeus - Latin, named after a blue flower or twinflower bloom
- Manikanth- Bengali, Hindi, means “the blue jewel, shining brightly”
- Marlais - Welsh, means “blue”
- Mavi - Turkish, means “blue”
- Nabhas - Sanskrit, this one means “celestial”, like the moon against a deep blue night.
- Neel - Latin, Irish, Gaelic, this name derives as an alternative to Cornelius, Neal, Niel and begins its own journey meaning “bluish color of the sky”
- Slate - English, named after the gray, greenish-blue rock, a powerful name for boys
- Viorel - Romanian, named after the bluebell flower
Gender-Neutral Names That Mean Blue
- Aoki - Japanese, means “blue tree”
- Blu - Turkish, the meaning of this spelling means “colorful and creative”
- Cerulean - English, from the Latin word caeruleus, meaning “dark blue or bluish-green”
- Indigo - English, named after the dark color blue, with the nickname Indy, a brilliant choice!
- Jaylin - American, Greek, means “calm” which is just how the color makes us feel
- Nakesha - Hindi, Sanskrit, another name for the Hindi god Indra, means “the ruler of blue havens” or “the lord of heaven”
- Neeladri - Hindi, means “the Nilgiris, blue mountain” after the top of the mountain that reflects off the blue water below
- Oakley - Hebrew, a variation of Neelam, meaning “blue sapphire”
For more baby name inspiration check out these popular baby name lists:
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names in the U.S.
- Top 1000 Most Popular Baby Boy Names in the U.S.
- The 100 Coolest Baby Names in the World
Considering one of these blue names? Pin it to save it for later:
Was this article helpful?