50 Names That Mean Blue for Your Little One
If you’re looking for a unique baby name that reminds you of your baby's beautiful blue eyes, the deep ocean, or a blue fire and flame, a baby name meaning blue could be just the right one for you!
When you think blue, you may associate it with open spaces and expansiveness like the sky. For many people, blue can also be the color of wisdom, calmness, and confidence. Blue definitely gives off calming vibes, and blue-inspired names for girls and boys have been used across many cultures in different languages.
In 2012, superstar Beyonce made headlines for naming her first-born daughter Blue Ivy. While speculation flew on why she would have chosen that name, she cleared it up by posting an excerpt from Rebecca Solnit’s novel A Field Guide to Getting Lost. The paragraph begins with, “The world is blue at its edges and in its depths…,” and goes on to say “the blue at the farthest reaches of the places where you see for miles, the blue of distance. This light does not touch us, does not travel the whole distance, the light that gets lost gives us the beauty of the world, so much of which is in the color blue.”
Whether you take inspiration from that excerpt too or have your own reasons behind choosing a name that means blue, we’ve compiled a list of 50 boy, girl, and gender-neutral baby names that mean blue for you to look through.
Girl Names That Mean Blue
- Marilee - Welsh, means “star of the sea” related to the names Mari, Marilyn, & Mary
- Cyane - Greek, means “a bright shade of blue”
- Neelu - Hindu, means “diamond” and describes a gloomy shade of blue/green
- Mazarine - French, describes a deep dark shade of blue
- Atasi - Indian, Hindu, means “blue flower”
- Amrin - Muslim, a lovely quite girl, a “blue sky”
- Ruka - Japanese, often used as a spiritual derived named this one describes a bright blue flower
- Sini - Finnish, a more feminine version of “Sinkka” means “blue” often used poetically
- Claramay - English, means “bright, beloved”, it is the mixture of pink and blue
- Bluesette - American, a wonderful choice for jazz-loving parents, this is a laid back baby girl name
- Iris - Ancient Greek, “symbol of power” also named after the blue flower
- Azura - Spanish, means “sky blue”
- Bleu - French, word for “blue”
- Bluebell - English, named for the beautiful blue flower!
- Owaissa - Native American Legend of Owaissa, means “BlueBird”
- Lapis - Egypt, after the beautiful lapis lazuli gemstone, “dark blue”
- Okelani - Hawaiian, means “from Heaven” like the sky above!
- Maya - Hebrew, Spanish, Greek, means “water” like the deep blue sea!
- Neela /Nila - Hindi, Sanskrit, African, means “blue bird” or “sapphire blue”
- Firuzeh - Persian, means “turquoise”, the blue-green precious stone we see in jewelry
- Azure - Spanish, another variation that means “sky blue”
- Afina - Romanian, Hebrew, means “blueberry”! What an adorably unique name!
- Sunil - Sanskrit means “dark blue” or “sapphire”
- Nilam/Neelam - Muslim, meaning a “lighter shade of blue”, a beautiful choice
- Doli - Native American, Navajo, another name that means “bluebird”
Boy Names That Mean Blue
- Linnaeus - Latin, named after a blue flower or twinflower bloom
- Gorman - Irish, Gaelic, means “small blue-eyed one”
- Jalaneel - Latin, describes the deep blue of the stormy oceans
- Indivar/Indeevar - Hindi, means “blessing” and “blue lotus”
- Nabhas - Sanskrit, this one means “celestial”, like the moon against a deep blue night.
- Jaibrian - Arabic, means “bluebird” or “noble, strength”
- Neel - Latin, Irish, Gaelic, this name derives as an alternative to Cornelius, Neal, Niel and begins its own journey meaning “bluish color of the sky”
- Aouli - Hawaiian, describing the expansiveness of the dazzling blue sky
- Viorel - Romanian, named after the bluebell flower
- Cyan - English, means “greenish blue”
- Manikanth- Bengali, Hindi, means “the blue jewel, shining brightly”
- Slate - English, named after the gray, greenish-blue rock, a powerful name for boys
- Azraq - Arabic, means “blue” or “pure”
- Marlais - Welsh, means “blue”
- Mavi - Turkish, means “blue”
- Azul - Spanish, just like the feminine version, this name means “BLUE”!>/li>
- Hinto - Native American, name to describe beautiful blue eyes, “blue-haired”
Gender-Neutral Names That Mean Blue
- Blu - Turkish, the meaning of this spelling means “colorful and creative”
- Indigo - English, named after the dark color blue, with the nickname Indy, a brilliant choice!
- Oakley - Hebrew, a variation of Neelam, meaning “blue sapphire”
- Nakesha - Hindi, Sanskrit, another name for the Hindi god Indra, means “the ruler of blue havens” or “the lord of heaven”
- Jaylin - American, Greek, means “calm” which is just how the color makes us feel
- Neeladri - Hindi, means “the Nilgiris, blue mountain” after the top of the mountain that reflects off the blue water below
- Cerulean - English, from the Latin word caeruleus, meaning “dark blue or bluish-green”
- Aoki - Japanese, means “blue tree”
Looking for more color-inspired baby names and inspiration? Check out our Baby Name Center.
Considering one of these blue names? Pin it to save it for later: