Girl name origins & meanings
- Russian, Slavic : Faith
- Latin : True
What Does Vera Mean and Stand For?
The name Vera comes from the Slavic meaning "Faith." It also has Latin roots, meaning "True."
Family name origins & meanings
- Spanish (especially southern Spain) : habitational name from any of various places called Vera or La Vera, named with vera ‘river bank’.
Famous people with this first name
What Does the Name Vera Mean?
Vera is a girls' name of Slavic and Russian origin, meaning "Faith." It was a popular name at the beginning of the 20th century, but later fell in popularity. It is now making a comeback on the baby name charts.
How Popular is the Name Vera?
Vera is the #228 most popular girls' name in the U.S., according to 2021 Social Security Administration data. It has been gaining rapid popularity since first appearing on the charts in 2009. The name Vera currently ranks #5 on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Vera was at its peak popularity in May 2020.
Popularity of the Name Vera in the United States
Vera was searched for most often in the following states:
- West Virginia
Famous People Named Vera and Vera in Pop Culture
Famous Vera's include fashion designer Vera Wang, and actresses Vera Farming and Vera Miles.
The name Vera features prominently in literature, including the books War and Peace, Moths, and And Then There Were None.
In TV and movies, the name Vera features in Downton Abbey and Home Alone 4.
In Harry Potter, the spell "Vera Verto" can turn an animal into a water goblet.
Pairs Well with These Middle Names
- 75 Baby Names Inspired by Influential Scientists
- Western Names from the Big (and Small) Screen
- 75 4 Letter Girl Names (With Meanings) for Your Baby
- Our Favorite 1920s Girl Names Making a Comeback in the 2020s
- 75 Rainbow Baby Names With Sentimental Meanings