Boy name origins & meanings
- Middle English : Tiler; roofer
What does Tyler mean and stand for?
The name Tyler is an English occupational name that means "the maker of tiles" or "the tiler of roofs." It is derived from the Old English word tigele, meaning "tiles."
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English : occupational name for a maker or layer of tiles, from an agent derivative of Middle English tile ‘tile’. In the Middle Ages tiles were widely used in floors and pavements, and to a lesser extent in roofing, where they did not really come into their own until the 16th century.
Famous people with this last name
Famous people who gave their babies this name
According to Social Security Administration data, Tyler has been consistently decreasing in popularity, after holding a spot in the top 100 from 2000 to 2016. Despite its rapid decline, Tyler still remains in the top 150.
However, it is the 49th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Tyler was at its peak popularity in July 2019.
Tyler is one of the most popular presidential surnames used today, maintaining a spot in the top 10 the entire 1980s. Singer Tyler Joseph, actor Tyler Perry, rapper Tyler Gregory Okonma, celebrity chef Tyler Florence, actor Tyler Blackburn, actor Tyler Garcia Posey, actor Tyler Lee Hoechlin, actor Tyler Champagne, as well as various NFL players, are some notable namesakes. Late singer Chester Bennington, actress Kathleen Quinlan, actor John Ritter, and actors DavidTennant and Georgia Moffett all chose the name for their sons. Tyler has also been a popular name for entertainment, appearing in Fight Club, The Vampire Diaries, Switched at Birth, Neighbours, and Blended.
Where is it Popular?
Tyler was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Tyler
Pairs well with these middle names
- Unusual Presidential Names
- Texan Names
- 75 Nerdy Names Your Inner Geek will Love
- The Ultimate List of Three Letter Girl Names
- The Top Double Names for When You Can't Just Choose One
People who like this name also like