Girl name origins & meanings
- Greek, Persian, Hebrew, Irish, Latin : Child of light; pearl; jewel
- Arabic, English, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Scandinavian, Spanish : Lady; mistress; bitter; pearl
- Aramic : A lady; mistress; who becomes bitter; provoking
- Latin : Warlike; who loves everyone; warring
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Spanish, Portuguese, and Catalan : from marta ‘marten’.
- Slavic and Hungarian (Márta) : from the female personal name which appears in the New Testament as Martha (Aramaic Marta ‘lady’), borne by the sister of Lazarus and Mary (of Bethany).