Girl name origins & meanings
- Aramic : A lady; mistress; who becomes bitter; provoking
Family name origins & meanings
- Swiss German : from a pet form of Martin 1.
- Italian : probably from medieval Greek Martios ‘March’, a nickname for someone who was born or baptized in March or had some other association with the month.
- Catalan (Martí) and southern French (Occitan) : from the personal name Martí (seeMartin).
- Hungarian : topographic name from mart‘small hill’, ‘waterfront’.
- Hungarian : from Marti, a pet form of the personal name Márton, Hungarian form ofMartin.