Girl name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : Bitter
- Greek : A flower; mother of Jesus
- Latin : Of the sea
- Hebrew : Bitter; rebellion
Girl name variations
How Popular Is The Name Mari
Family name origins & meanings
- Italian : patronymic from a short form of the medieval personal name Ademaro, Adimaro, derived from a Germanic personal name composed of the elements adal ‘noble’ + mari, meri ‘famous’. In southern Italy, it is more often from a short form of Amari, or a nickname from amaro, amaru, also maru ‘unlucky’.
- Italian : patronymic from the personal name Mario.
- Catalan (Marí) : occupational name from marí ‘mariner’ or nickname for someone who lived by the sea.
- Hungarian : from the personal name Mári, a pet form of Márton (see Martin) or Márkus (see Mark), or of the female name Mária (see Maria).