Girl name origins & meanings
- Greek : Light; form of Helen; Torch
- Russian : Illumination
- Hebrew : Dwelling; Woman from Magdala; variation of Magdalene
- Persian: Torch
What Does Lena Mean and Stand For?
The name Lena has roots in Greek, Russian, Hebrew, and Persian. It is the diminutive of various names, including Helena and Magdalene. Most often, the name Lena comes from the Greek Helena, meaning "light."
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Italian : from the female personal name Lena, a short form of Maddalena or Helena.
- Spanish : habitational name from a place called Lena in Asturies.
Famous people who gave their babies this name
What Does the Name Lena Mean?
Lena is a girls' name of Greek origin, meaning "light" and "torch". Lena also has Hebrew, Persian, and Russian roots.
Lena originated as a diminutive of various names, including Helena, Magdalena, and Alina. It is now a popular standalone name.
How Popular is the Name Lena?
Lena is the #293 most popular girls' name in the U.S., according to 2021 Social Security Administration data. However, it ranks #9 on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Lena was at its peak popularity in November 2017.
Popularity of the Name Lena in the United States
Lena was searched for most often in the following states:
- District of Columbia
- New York
Famous People Named Lena and Lena in Pop Culture
Famous Lena's include Girls writer and star Lena Dunham, and Game of Thrones actress Lena Headey.
The name Lena features in literature, such as William Faulkner's Light in August and Ann Brashares's The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
Pairs Well with These Middle Names
- The Ultimate List of Victorian Girl Names
- 75 4 Letter Girl Names (with Meanings) for Your Baby
- Russian First Names
- Game of Thrones Inspired Baby Names
- 75 "Old Lady" Names That Are Popular Again