The Ultimate Guide to the Top Autumn Baby Names
What better way to celebrate your autumn baby’s birth month than with a fall-themed name? Here are the top autumn or fall names for boys and girls, along with some great gender-neutral options.
More: 75 Names that Mean Snow, Ice or Winter for Your Little One
Fall-inspired baby names are often based around lots of trees and flowers. Nature always plays a big part in seasonal names, but many fall names kick it up a notch. Because of this, you have a lot more options for gender-swapping. A name like Birch fits well for anyone.
Another place to look for fall-inspired names is the calendar or astrological charts. September could be a cool name, or maybe if your kiddo is born during Libra season, making that a middle name (or a first name!). You can also look to the colors of fall for name inspiration. You might not want to name your little one Red, but Cerise is a shade of red and a beautiful option for a baby name. Or something that goes with the color gold, yellow, or orange.
Regardless of where you draw inspiration from, we think these Autumn baby names are sure to be a hit. Here are our top 75 name suggestions to get you started.
Fall and Autumn-Inspired Baby Girl Names
- Aki - This Japanese name means Autumn.
- Amber - An English name referring to the lovely colors associated with fall.
- Apple - Apple picking, apple crisp, apple cider, all fun fall activities, this would make a cute name.
- Aster - This popular flower blooms from late summer to early fall and would make a pretty name for an early fall baby.
- Aurelia - This Latin name means the golden one, a beautifully rich color associated with fall.
- Autumn - Perhaps the most obvious name, Autumn is of Latin origins.
- Baize - This French name means dark brown, another color heavily associated with the fall.
- Bronwyn - This Welsh name will inspire thoughts of nature, fall, and the crisp brown colors.
- Bruna - This Italian name means brown, a color associated with fall.
- Carmine - This Italian name means garden, from which we harvest crops through the fall.
- Ceres - Pronounced “Seer-eez,” Ceres is the Greek Goddess of the harvest.
- Chrysanthemum - Or “mums” are the official flowers of November and a staple for many fall decorations.
- Dahlia - Taking inspiration from another flower, the Dahlia is native to Mexico and can bloom all the way through December, making it a bright spot in the fall.
- Daphne - This name refers to the laurel tree, which is an evergreen that flourishes in the fall.
- Gaia - This Greek name means earth mother, the nature connotation makes many people think of fall.
- Goldie - A derivative of the Yiddish name Golde, this unique name can refer to the golden tones of the fall.
- Hazan - This is a Turkish name for Autumn.
- Hazel - An English name referring to the Hazelnut tree, a fall staple in the deep forest.
- Juniper - Certain species of these trees bloom in fall. Their berries are used to make gin and sauces for gamey animals.
- Libra - This Greek astrological sign refers to babies born from Sept. 23-Oct. 22.
- Maisie - Maize is a Native American name for corn, and Maisie could be an adorable play on that idea.
- Maple - The Maple tree boasts beautiful red leaves in the fall, a lovely name for fans of fall foliage.
- Marigold - An English name referring to the golden flower that blooms and the best in late summer and early fall.
- Mehrgan - This Arabic name is from the Persian word for Autumn.
- Olive - A Latin name referring to the Olive Tree, which keeps its foliage deep into the fall.
- Olivia - Another Latin version of the Olive tree.
- Opal - This Sanskrit name refers to the birthstone of those born in October.
- Orla - This Irish name means golden princess, and would make a sweet name for a fall baby girl.
- Persephone - The Greek goddess and queen of the harvest, Persephone is known for helping crops grow.
- Raven - In reference to the blackbird, a Raven is a symbol known for mythology, Wiccan, and Edgar Allen Poe references.
- Rhea - Of Greek origin, this name means a flowing stream, something you would find while taking a nice autumn walk.
- Ruby - A rich red gemstone that can be tied to the earth tones associated with autumn, a beautiful name for a little girl.
- Saffron - The orange scented spice that is used in many fall potpourri mixes, Saffron would make a unique baby name for a girl.
- Sapphire - A Hebrew name referring to the blue birthstone of September, the month fall begins.
- Scarlett - The English name referring to the color red, one of the jewel tones specifically associated with fall.
- Sienna - This Italian name refers to the reddish-brown clay that is found in Italy, colors that are closely associated with Autumn.
- Tess - Short for Theresa, Tess is an English name to harvest, which takes place in the fall.
- Willow - This English name refers to the Willow tree or weeping willow, that takes on a gorgeous yellow and orange tone in the fall.
- Xanthe - This Greek name means golden or yellow, two beautiful colors associated with Autumn.
Fall and Autumn-Inspired Baby Boy Names
- Adam - This Hebrew name means son of red earth, our land in the fall.
- Archer - This English name refers to hunters of bowmen who head out in the fall to bring home animal bounty.
- Autumnus - Autumnus is the Roman personification of Autumn, and would make a stately name for a boy.
- Branden - This English name means brown hill, referring to the grass and leaves dying off in the fall.
- Bruno - This Portuguese name means brown, a color heavily associated with fall.
- Cormac - This Irish name means tree trunk, a great way to use nature as inspiration.
- Demeter - Named for the Greek god of agriculture and harvest, this would make a strong name for a little boy.
- Forrest - Of English origins, many people love the deep Forrest in the quiet of the fall.
- Griffin - Of Welsh origins, this name is perfect for fans of Halloween, dragons, and Old England.
- Herb - Herbst is the German name for Autumn, shortened to Herb for a trendy name for a boy.
- Leif - This Scandinavian name can be used as a more interesting spelling to leaf, which is a universal symbol of fall.
- Oliver - A take on the Latin name deriving from the Olive tree, which keeps its foliage deep into the fall.
- Rusty - The name refers to the reddish-brown color that just screams fall.
- Scorpio - The Zodiac sign associated with birthday from October 23-November 21, this would make an interesting name for your little guy.
Fall and Autumn-Inspired Gender-Neutral Names
- Ash - Shortened from the Middle English name Asche, which means tree.
- Asher - Another version of the Middle English name Asche, a tree is a quite literal name for fall.
- Aspen - Referring to the Aspen tree that sheds its heart-shaped leaves in the fall.
- Aster - A Greek name that is also the official flower of September, the month fall begins in.
- Garnet - A dark red gemstone whose earthy tones make many people think of fall and autumn.
- Hunter - An English name referring to those who go out in the fall and winter and hunt to bring home food.
- Jora - This Hebrew unisex name means autumn rain, a lovely meaning for a little one.
- Laurel - Coming from the Laurel tree, this gender-neutral name refers to the evergreen tree that blooms in the autumn.
- Lennox - This is a Scottish name that refers to the elm tree, which turns lovely shades of color in the fall.
- Linden - Of English origin this refers to the Linden tree, whose heart-shaped leaves turn yellow in the fall.
- Oakley - Taking inspiration from the great Oak Tree, Oakley would be a nice nature inspired fall name.
- Phoenix - This Greek name means more than just the mystical bird, Phoenix can refer to a deep red, a color associated with the richness of Autumn.
- Qiu - This unisex name stems from the Chinese word for Autumn.
- Rain (e) - Autumn is often a rainy season, making Rain a lovely way to pay homage to nature this time of year. You can use the e on the end for a more unique spelling.
- Rory - This Irish name means Red King, a color associated with fall.
- Rowan - Of both Scottish and Irish origins, in reference to the Rowan Tree that bears red berries in the fall.
- Sawyer - Sawyer refers to someone who cuts timber, tree cutting is often associated with fall and people prepare for winter fires.
- Sparrow - This unisex name refers to the Autumn Sparrow, a lovely bird.
- Thu - This name is derived from the Vietnamese word for Autumn.
- Wheatley - This name works well for both genders, and refers to wheat that is harvested in the fall.
Looking for more baby names and inspiration? Check out our Baby Name Center.
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later:
Was this article helpful?
Jennifer Caffelle is an Early Education professional and blogger, but by far her favorite job is being a Mama to two littles. Jennifer completed her Bachelors in Education from Curry College and her M.Ed from Concordia University.