Girl name origins & meanings
- Greek : Song
What does Melody mean and stand for?
The name Melody is of Greek origin and means "song." It is derived from the Greek words μέλος (melos) meaning "song" and ἀείδω (aeido) meaning "to sing".
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Maoiléidigh ‘descendant of Maoléidigh’, a byname composed of the elements maol ‘chief’ + éidigh ‘ugly’.
According to Social Security Administration data, Melody has been increasingly popular, moving up from 398 in 2000 to its peak of 106 in 2020.
However, it is the 5th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Melody was at its peak popularity in November 2020.
Melody, which cracked the top 150 for the first time in 2015, was popular in the 1960s for a while before falling away again. Popular namesakes include Melody Thornton (singer of the Pussycat Dolls), singer Melody Gardot, actress Melody Ann Thomas Scott, and dancer Melody Lacayanga.
Where is it Popular?
Melody was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Melody
Pairs well with these middle names
- 75 Fairy Names for Your Magical Little One
- The Ultimate List of Twin Girl Names
- 50 Names that Mean Death
- The Ultimate List of Buddhist Names
- 75 Unusual Names that Help Your Little One Stand Out
People who like this name also like