Boy name origins & meanings
- French : Light; laidback
- Latin : Bringer of light
- Greek : Patron saint of doctors, artists, and creatives
- English : Bringer of light
What does Luke mean and stand for?
The name Luke comes from the Greek name Loukas, meaning "man from Lucania." Luke later became a derivation from Lucas. The name constantly tops the charts in America, but it is most popular in Ireland.
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from a derivative of Lucas. This was (and is) the common vernacular form of the name, being the one by which the author of the fourth Gospel is known in English.
- English : habitational name for someone from Liège in Belgium (Dutch Luik).
- North German (Lüke) : from a short form of Lüdeke; Luedecke.
Famous people with this first name
Famous people who gave their babies this name
According to Social Security Administration data, Luke has been consistently popular, remaining in the top 50 since 2000, and slowly increasing to the top 30 before falling back down in 2019.
However, it is the 19th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Luke was at its peak popularity in February 2019.
Luke originated as a short form of Lucas, which originated from the Greek name Loukas. The name quickly gained popularity due to a first-century Greek physician named Luke, who was also a friend of Saint Paul and author of the third Gospel of the New Testament. This man later became the saint of doctors and artists. Of course, the name is now popular due to various athletes, actors, and of course, Luke Skywalker.
Where is it Popular?
Luke was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Luke
Pairs well with these middle names