Boy name origins & meanings
- Irish: Fair-haired
- Old Norse: Thunder
What does Finn mean and stand for?
The name Finn is of Irish origin that means "fair or white." It is the older Irish form of Fionn. It was born as a surname, as seen with Huckleberry Finn.
Discover more baby name meanings to learn what's behind every name.
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Finn
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Finn ‘descendant of Fionn’, a byname meaning ‘white’ or ‘fair-haired’. This name is borne by several families in the west of Ireland.
- English: from the Old Norse personal name Finnr ‘Finn’, used both as a byname and as a short form of various compound names with this first element.
- German: ethnic name for someone from Finland.
Famous people who gave their babies this name
Popularity of the Name Finn
According to Social Security Administration data, Finn has moved up and down over the past few years, but managed to stay in the top 200 since 2016. It's truly gained popularity since ranking 836 in 2000.
However, it is the 15th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Finn was at its peak popularity in November 2017.
Finn began as a great hero of Irish mythology: Finn MacCool. Other notable namesakes include actor Terence "Finn" Jones, actor Finn Cole, actor Finn Michael Wolfhard, and explorer Finn Ronne. The name also gained some popularity after celebrities Brian Kerwin and Jeanne Marie Troy, model Saffron Aldridge and Toby Constantine, ctress Terry Finn and David L. Snyder, and actress Julia Roberts and Daniel Moder chose it for their sons. Prior to Cory Monteith's death, he was most known for his character Finn on Glee. Finn was also a character in The Vampire Diaries, Adventure Time, and Resident Evil 6.
Where is the name Finn popular?
Finn was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Finn
Finn pairs well with these middle names:
Finn appears on these baby name lists:
- Our Favorite One-Syllable Baby Names and Their Meanings
- 75 Southern Boy Names
- 25 Magical Boy Names to Inspire Your Search
- Game of Thrones-Inspired Baby Names
- 75 Literary Boy Names