Girl name origins & meanings
- Old English: Dark wood
- Old English: Clearing
What does Blakely mean and stand for?
The name Blakely is of Old English origin and means "dark wood" or "clearing." It is derived from a surname comprised of the Old English blæc, meaning "black" and leah, meaning "woodland clearing."
Discover more baby name meanings to learn what's behind every name.
Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English: Fair-haired
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Blakely
Family name origins & meanings
- English, Scottish, and northern Irish: habitational name from any of various places in northern England and the Scottish Borders called Blakeley, named with Old English blæc ‘black’, ‘dark’ (see Black) + lēah ‘woodland clearing’. The Scottish surname may also have absorbed some cases of Blakelaw, from a place in the Borders named with Old English blæc ‘black’ + hlāw ‘hill’.
Popularity of the Name Blakely
According to Social Security Administration data, Blakely has been dramatically jumping the ranks since entering the top 1000 at rank 928 in 2011. In 2019, it broke the top 200 for the first time, and in 2020, it reached its peak rank of 167.
However, it is the 5th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years, Blakely was at its peak popularity in August 2017.
Blakely is one of those modern names that managed to gain popularity without many namesakes and pop culture references. However, there was a Blakely on The Bachelor in 2012, which may have boosted it a bit.
Where is the name Blakely Popular?
Blakely was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Blakely
Blakely pairs well with these middle names:
Blakely appears on these baby name lists:
- Western Names from the Big (and Small) Screen
- 50 Music-Inspired Baby Names by Genre
- 75 Inspirational Names for Babies
- 15 Harry Potter Baby Names that Only True Fans Will Understand
- 75 Boho Girl Names for Your Little One