The Ultimate List of Aztec Names
The Aztecs were located in central Mexico primarily from 1300-1521 until their population began to decline. They included many different central Mexican ethnic groups and were bound by a primary language of Nahuatl.
Aztecs are well known for their art and cultural production. Writing, music, crafts, and sculpture are some of the most popular areas Aztecs are known for. Many of the most popular Aztec names were inspired by their culture, so you will find names pertaining to nature, religion, gods, and goddesses, and art.
Nahuatl is still spoken today especially in Central Mexico and El Salvador. As with other indigenous names, Aztec names have a specific history, meaning, and pronunciation. Many Nahuatl names are poetic and are not tied to specific genders.
If you have an Aztec background, or indigenous names that are meaningful to you, you may find inspiration in this ultimate list of Aztec names with name meanings.
Aztec Baby Girl Names
- Atzi - This means rain, water is an important element to the Aztec people so it is especially fitting.
- Chiconahui - This means hearth-goddess and is of Aztec origin.
- Citlalic - This means a rising star, a lovely meaning for a baby girl.
- Coaxoch - This means serpent flower and is of Aztec origin.
- Metztli - This is the goddess of night.
- Nenetl - This means doll and is of Aztec origin.
- Quetzal - This means precious flower or Queen, strong and feminine meanings.
- Quetzalli - This means a large beautiful feather and is of Aztec origin.
- Tayanna - This means Gift from God, a beautiful meaning for a special little girl.
- Tonalnan - This means Mother of Light and is of Aztec origin.
- Xitllali - This is the goddess of the moon, a strong pull to nature and the universe, both important elements to the Aztec culture.
- Xóchitl/Xochil - This is Aztec for flower, either spelling is acceptable.
- Yaretzi - This means “You will always be loved”, a meaningful and sweet name for a little girl.
- Zaniyah/Zyanya - This means always, forever. A beautiful name for parents to give their daughter.
- Zeltzin - This means delicate and is of Aztec origin.
Aztec Baby Boy Names
- Acalan - This is a small and narrow rowing boat and is of Aztec origin.
- Chicahua - This means strong, an appropriate name for a baby boy.
- Chimalli/Chimalley - This means shield and is of Aztec origin.
- Coatl - This is an Aztec name for snake or serpent.
- Huitzilin - This means hummingbird and is of Aztec origin.
- Ilhicamina - This means “he who shoots arrows at the sky”, a warrior by Aztec standards.
- Itzcoatl - This means obsidian serpent and is of Aztec origin.
- Matlalihuitl - This is a blue-green feather, both the symbol and colors were of significance to the Aztec people. A feather, like that of a peacock, was regarded as having high value.
- Mictlantecuhtli - This is the Aztec lord of Mictlan.
- Ohtli - This means road, and is of Aztec origin.
- Quetzalcoatl - This is the name of a key Aztec God. He is the god of wind and rain and was accredited as being the creator of Earth and humanity. An important name that carries a sense of royalty.
- Tlanextli - This means radiance or splendor, powerful and beautiful names for a baby boy.
- Xipilli - This means jeweled prince, a royal name for a new family member.
- Xiuhcoatl - This means Weapon of Destruction, a strong and noble name.
- Xochipilli - This is the God of love and flowers, recognized as very important in the Aztec culture.
- Yaotl - This means warrior, a strong male name with Aztec origin.
Gender Neutral Aztec Baby Names
- Atl - This means water and is of Aztec origin
- Aztec - Straight to the source, Aztec could be a gender neutral name. You can pay homage to the now extinct language that was a precursor to Nahuatl language.
- Cualli/Cuallee/Cuallea - This means good, any spelling is acceptable and can be used as a unisex name.
- Eztli - This is an Aztec word for blood. While this may seem like an odd meaning for a name, for a culture that prides itself on warriors this actually has significant meaning.
- Ichtaca - This means secret and is of Aztec origin.
- Icnoyotl - This means friendship and is of Aztec origin.
- Ihuicatl - This means the sky and is of Aztec origin, a lovely homage to nature which is important in the Aztec culture.
- Itotia - This means to dance, a lovely gender neutral name that signifies the importance of art and movement to the Aztec people.
- Ixtli - This means face and is of Aztec origin.
- Izel - This means unique and is of Aztec origin.
- Mazatl - This means deer, and pays homage to to nature and the bond the Aztec people have with animals.
- Meztli - This means moon, and important part of the universe that the Aztec people worship.
- Nahuatl - This is the name of the Aztec Goddess of Water and Rivers.
- Tenoch - This means fruit and is of Aztec origin.
- Toltecatl - This means an artist or creative person, encompassing the importance of both art and creativity in the Aztec culture.
- Xipil - This means a Noble one, or One of Fire.
- Yolotli - This means heart and is of Aztec origin.
- Zuma - This means “the Lord frowns in anger”, a powerful meaning for a name.
Looking for more baby names and inspiration? Check out our Baby Name Center.
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later: