The USDA recommends you eat foods that help achieve and maintain a healthy weight, promote health, and prevent disease. In addition, they offer the following recommendations to help promote a healthy diet and lifestyle.
- Enjoy your food, but eat less and avoiding oversized portions.
- Fruits and vegetables should make up half of your daily food intake.
- Half of all grains consumed should be whole grains.
- Switch to fat free or low-fat (one percent) milk.
- Incorporate lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts into your daily diet
- Eat foods that are low in saturated fat, and avoid trans fats as much as possible.
- Eat a low sodium diet(no more than 2,400 milligrams a day) by choosing foods that contain less salt.
- Drink water instead of sugary beverages like soda.