popular topics in social and emotional development
- KindergartenKindergarten Prep: People Are DifferentKindergarten Prep: People Are Different Not only do people have different kinds of possessions, they also can look different. As your child heads off to kindergarten,she will most likely meet other children whose skin, hair, or eyes are differen...
- Kindergarten ReadinessKindergarten Prep: People Have Different ThingsKindergarten Prep: People Have Different Things Your child already knows that people need food to eat, a home to live in, and clothing to wear. These are the most basic of human needs, but not all people eat the same food, live in the same kinds...
- Kids and Cell PhonesCell Phones at School: Should They Be Allowed?Should cell phones be allowed in school? A 2010 Pew Research Center study found that 65 percent of cell-owning teens bring their phones to school despite any bans that may be in place. Most schools now allow students to have cell phones but requi...Maya Cohen
- Kindergarten ReadinessKindergarten Prep: Spending Time With FriendsKindergarten Prep: Spending Time With FriendsFriendship is an important part of kindergarten success. Young children need to feel accepted by their peers and have the skills to play cooperatively, productively, and positively with others. What ...
- Kids and Cell Phones8 Quick Tips for Curbing Your Family's Screen TimeIt's dinner time and everyone in your family is nose-down, glued to their phones and mobile devices, rather than making good ol'-fashioned eye contact. Sound familiar? Setting limits on screen time — and remembering to put down our own devices ...Erin Dower
- Kids and Cell Phones7 Tips to Childproof Your SmartphoneRaise your hand if your child thinks your phone is just another one of her toys. We all know the feeling! Smartphones can be a great source for educational entertainment for children, but let's face it — curious kids have the uncanny ability to...Lindsay Hutton
- Doctor's VisitsGoing to the Doctor's AloneOur expert believes that age 12 is too young to go to the doctor alone, particularly for a physical. ...
- Download a Free Memorial Day Activity Packet!
This activity packet is filled with fun activities to teach your grade school kids all about Memorial Day! Sign up at TeacherVision and download yours free today!
- Kids and Cell Phones6 Questions to Ask Before Getting Your Child a Cell PhoneAt what age should you get your child a cell phone? According to PewResearch Center, the average age is between 12 and 13, but when to get your child a cell phone is a personal decision, and can vary from kid to kid based on maturity and need. Be...Lindsay Hutton
- ShynessAge-by-Age Guide to Helping Your Shy Child ThriveNot every person is cut out to be a social butterfly. Research shows that nearly half of all teens and adults identify themselves as shy. Some people are born with a timid temperament, and others seem to develop a shy personality along the way....Erin Dower
- Gender Differences6 Tips for Understanding and Raising a Transgender ChildLearning that your child is transgender can bring on a range of emotions — from confusion and grief to anger and fear — and will likely leave you with many questions. Will your child be safe? How will this change the dynamic of your family? M...Erin Dower
- Father/Daughter RelationshipsShould Father Bathe with Toddler Daughter?Read what our expert has to say to a father who has been bathing with his daughter. ...
- Mother/Son RelationshipsMother/Son 101: Smart Tips for Raising BoysThere are a lot of tips out there for a good mother/daughter relationship, but maintaining a healthy mother/son relationship is tricky and less talked about. Learn the keys to showing your son the ropes in life and staying connected as he grows. ...Erin Dower
- Mother/Daughter RelationshipsMother/Daughter 101: Smart Tips for Raising GirlsEvery mother/daughter relationship is different. Whether you and your daughter are close as can be or constantly battling, find out the key steps in building a strong relationship and raising a happy, healthy girl. (Also take a look at our mother...Erin Dower
- Mobile AppsSmart Rules of Thumb for Children's App UseIt goes without saying that smartphones and apps have become an integral part of our everyday lives. But what about our children's lives? At what age is it okay to let your kids start using smartphones? Which apps are safe and which are not? We...Erin Dower
- Fear of the Dark15 Books to Help Kids Overcome Their FearsChildhood can bring a lot of phobias and anxiety — fear of the dark, or thunder, or monsters, or going to the doctor, or the potty, or school, or the dentist... Eek! So here's a list of great children's books to help kids cure their inner w...
- Fact Monster - a safe online educational space for kids
Are you worried about your kids being online? Fact Monster is a KidSafe-certified site for your kids to get homework help, play games and watch educational videos. Check it out...and give Same Game a try yourself!
sponsored contentFamily Education
- Learning Disabilities and Homework8 Disorganization Styles of Struggling BoysWhy is your child struggling in school? In her book "That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life," author Ana Homayoun identifies eight styles of disorganization and distraction that ...Erin Dower