popular topics in childhood safety
- KidsZika Virus Q&A: 4 Facts for Pregnant Women and FamiliesThe news of Zika virus spreading is pretty scary, particularly if you're pregnant or trying to conceive (TTC). If you're expecting, what steps do you need to take to protect yourself and your baby? Can you still take a babymoon, and where is it s...Erin Dower
- Heat-Related SafetyPreventing Hot Car Deaths: 6 Facts & Tips for ParentsEvery year, between 30 and 50 children in the U.S. die from overheating in a vehicle. Most of those deaths are the result of a parent or caregiver forgetting a child — usually a sleeping baby or toddler — in the car on a warm or hot day. You ...Erin Dower
- BurnsFirst Aid for BurnsBurns are ugly, they hurt and they're scary. But they can be treated with simple first aid steps. In fact, they're the one injury that must be treated before medical help arrives. The fact is that burns, unless treated right away, will get worse...
- Tick BitesBug Off! Protect Yourself from These 6 Tick- and Mosquito-Borne DiseasesTicks and mosquitoes are two of the leading carriers of diseases to humans, and warm summer weather makes these pests more active. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) outlines the 6 most common diseases that can spread through ti...Lindsay Hutton
- Environmental Awareness8 Everyday Alternatives to Help Your Family Go Plastic-FreeYou've likely heard about Bisphenol-A (BPA) and phthalates in plastics, but do you know the effects they can have on your family's health? According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), BPA, found in many reusable water bottles, food contai...Lindsay Hutton
- Food Allergies6 Non-Dairy Milk AlternativesLike most food allergies, a milk allergy is a serious health issue, and is different than simply being lactose intolerant. According to the National Institutes of Health, lactose intolerance is a digestive system disorder, while a milk allergy is...Lindsay Hutton
- Lyme DiseaseRemoving a Tick and Recognizing Lyme DiseaseRemoving a Tick and Recognizing Lyme DiseaseTicks have received a lot of attention over the past several years. Being the transmitters of such deadly diseases as Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Lyme Disease, ticks are considered Public Enemy Nu...
- Fact Monster - a safe online educational space for kids
Are you worried about your kids being online? Fact Monster is a KidSafe-certified site for your kids to get homework help, play games and watch educational videos. Check it out...and give Same Game a try yourself!
sponsored contentFamily Education
- Green Products6 Everyday Products with Hidden ToxinsYou know about eating organic foods, using only natural sunscreens, and avoiding certain cleaning products to avoid exposing your family to dangerous toxins and chemicals — but how much should you actually worry about your family's exposure? Ar...Lindsay Hutton
- School Safety7 Important Back-to-School Safety TipsAs a parent, sending your child to school, off into a world without you, can be an anxious time. Give yourself some peace of mind by following these safety tips to make sure she stays safe on the way to school, in the classroom, and while on the ...Lindsay Hutton
- Sun SafetyBest Sun-Safety Practices for BabiesThe sun's UV rays can be damaging year round, even when it is cloudy or cold, and your baby's thin skin burns much easier than an adult's does. Follow these sun-safety practices for babies to ensure your little one stays safe in the sun throughou...Lindsay Hutton
- Extreme SportsKids and Extreme SportsKids and Extreme Sports Are Team Sports Becoming Passé?Though traditional sports like football, basketball, and hockey aren't exactly going out of style, the world of so-called extreme sports keeps growing in popularity. Kids and adults alike ar...Kyanna Sutton
- Kids and Violence7 Ways to Curb Kids' Exposure to ViolenceDid you know that U.S. children are more likely to be exposed to violence than adults? According to the U.S. Department of Justice, most American children are regularly exposed to violence — in the media, at home, in school, and in their commun...Erin Dower
- Fostering IndependenceParents Weigh In: What's the Right Age for Kids to ...Start watching TV, choose their own clothes, have a cell phone, wear makeup, and stay home alone? Knowing when your child is ready for these responsibilities really comes down to knowing your child, but seeing how other parents weigh in can give ...Erin Dower
- Bites and StingsSafest Bug Sprays for Your Kids: Protect Against West Nile and MoreSafest Bug Sprays for Your Kids: Protect Against West Nile and More West Nile Virus (WNV) is a potentially serious illness that is spread through mosquitoes, and is a particular threat during the summer and fall months in North America. The Cente...Lindsay Hutton
- ChokingTop 9 Choking FoodsAccording to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), one child dies every five days from choking on food, making it the leading cause of death in children ages 14 and under. The AAP is calling for the food industry to change the design and labe...Lindsay Hutton
- Book FinderBook FinderFind our top picks for the best books of the year!familyeducation editors
- Preparing for Back to SchoolNom Nom Nom! Top 10 Healthy, Nut-Free Snacks for SchoolAre you stumped for snack ideas because your child can't eat nuts — or can't bring nuts to school due to a classmate's peanut allergy? Besides fresh fruit and veggies, learn some other easy, packable, healthy snacks that kids can bring to schoo...Erin Dower