An animated cartoon is made up of a series of drawings that are shown quickly, one after the other, so that the figures appear to move. Your child can bring his own drawings to life by making a flipbook.
- Small notebook or pad of paper
- Colored pencils or markers
- Have your child choose a simple action to show with his flipbook? perhaps a face changing from sad to happy, a person walking, or an apple falling from a tree.
- On the last page of the flipbook, have him draw the first picture in the action sequence (for example, the sad face).
- On the next-to-last page, he should draw the same picture but with a slight change (for example, the frown lifting a bit).
- He should draw each subsequent picture so it's slightly different from the one before it until the action sequence is complete.
- Show your child how to flip the pages from back to front to see his homemade animated cartoon.