Meaning and Origin of: Linn
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Chinese : Beautiful; jade
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings:
- English : Verbose; waterfall
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Scottish : variant spelling of Lynn.
- Irish : reduced and altered form of McLean. Compare McLinn.
- German : habitational name from a place called Linn, named with lin ‘swamp’, ‘bog’, ‘marsh’.
- German : from a Germanic personal name, Linto, formed with Old High German lind(i) ‘soft’.
- Eastern German and Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : from Slavic lin ‘tench’, a metonymic occupational name for someone who caught and sold tench or a nickname for someone thought to resemble a tench.