Girl name origins & meanings
- Old English : Linden island
Boy name origins & meanings
- English : Island of linden trees
Family name origins & meanings
- Variant spelling of Scottish Lindsay.
- Irish : reduced and Anglicized form of various Gaelic surnames, as for example Ó Loingsigh (see Lynch 1), Mac Giolla Fhionntóg (see McClintock), and Ó Fhloinn (seeFlynn).
- English : habitational name from Lindsey in Suffolk, named in Old English as ‘island (Old English ēg) ofLelli’, a personal name representing a byform of an unattested name Lealla.