Meaning and Origin of: Lindsey
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Linden island
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings:
- English : Island of linden trees
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Variant spelling of Scottish Lindsay.
- Irish : reduced and Anglicized form of various Gaelic surnames, as for example Ó Loingsigh (see Lynch 1), Mac Giolla Fhionntóg (see McClintock), and Ó Fhloinn (see Flynn).
- English : habitational name from Lindsey in Suffolk, named in Old English as ‘island (Old English ēg) of Lelli’, a personal name representing a byform of an unattested name Lealla.