Girl name origins & meanings
- Old English : Linden island
- English : From Linden Tree Island
Boy name origins & meanings
- English : Island of linden trees
Family name origins & meanings
- Scottish : habitational name from Lindsey in Lincolnshire, England. This is first found in the form Lindissi, apparently a derivative of the British name of Lincoln. To this was later added the Old English element ēg ‘island’, since the place was virtually cut off by the surrounding fenland. The surname was taken to Scotland at an early date and is the name of an important and powerful Scottish family.
- Irish : adopted as an equivalent of various Gaelic names (see Lindsey).