Meaning and Origin of: Jo
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew : He shall increase; a feminine version of Joseph
- Greek : Violet flower, modest
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew : He shall add
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Chinese and Korean : variant of Cho.
- Japanese(Jō) : ‘castle’. The same character is also pronounced Shiro. A noble family in Echigo (now Niigata prefecture) named Jō was descended from the Taira clan. Another name pronounced similarly, written with the character meaning ‘emotion’, is found in Okinawa.
- Hungarian (Jó) : nickname from jó ‘good’.