Girl name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : He shall increase; a feminine version of Joseph
- Greek : Violet flower, modest
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : He shall add
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Chinese and Korean : variant of Cho.
- Japanese(Jō) : ‘castle’. The same character is also pronounced Shiro. A noble family in Echigo (now Niigata prefecture) named Jō was descended from the Taira clan. Another name pronounced similarly, written with the character meaning ‘emotion’, is found in Okinawa.
- Hungarian (Jó) : nickname from jó ‘good’.