Girl name origins & meanings
- Greek : Violet flower, modest
Family name origins & meanings
- Norwegian : habitational name from any of several farmsteads in southwestern Norway, so named from the plural of land (see Land 1).
- Czech : from a short form of the personal name Mikulanda, a derivative of Mikuláš, Czech form of Greek Nikolaos (see Nicholas).
- Polish : nickname for a persistent and irritating person, from a derivative of the dialect verb landzić ‘to ask insistently’, ‘badger someone’.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : variant of Landau.
- Spanish and Basque : topographic name from the Basque landa ‘meadow’. There is a place of this name in Álava province, Basque Country, and the surname may in fact be a habitational name from this place.