Boy name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : Craftsman; spear
- Hebrew : Life; masculine form of Eve
- Hawaiian : Man, the eastern sky
- Irish : Honor, tribute
- Japanese : Doubly accomplished, golden, man
- Scottish : Warlike
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Scottish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Iain, patronymic from Iain, one of the Gaelic forms of John. This name is found in many other spellings, including McCain, Kean, and McKean. In some cases it may also be a variant ofCoyne.
- English : variant spelling ofCane.
- English (of Norman origin) : habitational name from Caen in Calvados, France, named with the Gaulish elements catu‘battle’ + magos ‘field’, ‘plain’.
- French (Caïn) : from the Biblical name Cain (HebrewQayin), probably applied as a derogatory nickname for someone who was considered to be treacherous.
- Spanish (Caín) : habitational name from a place called Caín in León.