Boy name origins & meanings
- French : Modest
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Cuáin ‘descendant of Cuán’, a byname from a diminutive of cú ‘hound’, ‘dog’.
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Cadhain ‘descendant of Cadhan’, a byname from cadhan ‘barnacle goose’.
- Irish : Anglicized form of Ó Comhgháin ‘descendant of Comghán’, a Connacht name usually Anglicized as Coen.
- Irish : variant of Quinn.
- English : metonymic occupational name for a minter of money, or a derogatory nickname for a miser, from Middle English coin ‘piece of money’ (earlier the die used to stamp money, from Latin cuneus ‘wedge’).