Girl name origins & meanings
- English : Resolution; wise
- Teutonic : Fierce protector
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- French : habitational name from any of various minor places so named, for example in Aisne, Côte d’Or, and Nièvre. The place name is from Romano-Gallic Billiacum, from a Gallic personal name Billios (Latin Billius) + the locative suffix-acum.
- English : unexplained. Compare Billey.
- A man named de Billy, from Paris, is documented in Canada in 1665, and possibly in Quebec city. Documented secondary surnames are Courville, Léveillé, Verrier, Saint Louis.