Meaning and Origin of: Billy
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- English : Resolution; wise
- Teutonic : Fierce protector
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- French : habitational name from any of various minor places so named, for example in Aisne, Côte d’Or, and Nièvre. The place name is from Romano-Gallic Billiacum, from a Gallic personal name Billios (Latin Billius) + the locative suffix -acum.
- English : unexplained. Compare Billey.
- A man named de Billy, from Paris, is documented in Canada in 1665, and possibly in Quebec city. Documented secondary surnames are Courville, Léveillé, Verrier, Saint Louis.