Meaning and Origin of: Will
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Teutonic : Fierce protector
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Teutonic : Valiant protector
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Scottish and northern English : from the medieval personal name Will, a short form of William, or from some other medieval personal names with this first element, for example Wilbert or Willard.
- English : topographic name for someone who lived by a spring or stream, Middle English wille (from wiell(a), West Saxon form of Old English well(a) ‘spring’). The surname is found predominantly in the south and southwestern parts of the country.
- German : from a short form of any of the various Germanic personal names beginning with wil ‘will’, ‘desire’.