The Best Laptops for Kids for School
Editor's Note: We know raising kids can be hard. That's why we're dedicated to making your life easier with the latest and greatest parenting advice and products. We wanted to let you know that if you chose to purchase one of the items featured in this post, we may receive a small commission for it.
It's back to school time and that means it's time to get in school supply mode. Laptops are at the top of the school shopping list with more kids relying on them for schoolwork. The global pandemic made laptops essential as more kids needed them to get their assignments done at home. With a mix of remote and in-person learning still on the horizon, the need for laptops for kids for school has never been greater.
Not all laptops are created equal which is why this is the perfect time for parents to learn about the best laptops for kids and how to choose the right one.
Our Top Picks
- The Best Laptop for Elementary School Children: Acer Chromebook Spin 11 CP311-1H-C5PN Convertible Laptop on Amazon
- The Best Laptop for Kids Who Are Always on the Go: Microsoft Surface Go on Amazon
- The Best Laptop for Kids Using the Laptop for Constant Entertainment: 2020 ASUS VivoBook Flip 14" Thin and Light 2-in-1 FHD Touchscreen Laptop on Amazon
- The Best Laptop for parents who want to make a long-lasting investment: Apple MacBook Air on Amazon
- The Best Laptop for parents who want their child to have the absolute easiest experience possible: Lenovo Yoga Chromebook 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop on Amazon
- The Best Laptop for parents who don't need anything beyond a solid and reliable laptop option for younger kids: Samsung 11.6" Chromebook 3 Intel Atom x5 E8000 on Amazon
- The Best Laptop for parents who are trying to work from home with a child nearby: Google Pixelbook Go i5 Chromebook on Amazon
- The Best Laptop for parents who want the cheapest, sturdiest option: ASUS Chromebook C202 Laptop on Amazon
What to Consider When Purchasing a Laptop for Kids
If you're in the market for a laptop for kids for school or home, consider the following before making your purchase.
1. Age and Grade Level
Today, even younger kids are using iPads and laptops regularly. But the technological needs of younger kids versus college students are very different. For instance, small children primarily need ease of access, spill-resistant keyboards, and the ability to put the laptop into tablet mode. This is what makes a laptop kid-friendly. They may start off with an iPad, then graduate to a laptop. Teens and older students will be more concerned with having gaming laptops, Bluetooth, and plenty of storage space.
Consider exactly how your children will be using the laptop. Is it a laptop for kids for school? Is it primarily for online communication and internet access for use with wi-fi? Is your child a gamer? If so, will the laptop be used heavily for gaming or coding? Do you want the laptop to be paired with other devices in the home? For instance, if you already have several Apple products in your home, you may want the devices to be connected. These are essential questions to ask yourself before determining the best laptop for kids in your house.
There are many laptops for kids that are reasonably priced these days, but the fancier you get with more special features, the more it will cost. A laptop is an investment that will typically last around three years, but that doesn't mean you need to break the bank - especially if you are purchasing multiple laptops to accommodate the needs of more than one child.
How We Chose Our Favorites
We have chosen our favorite laptops for kids for school in using various trusted resources. We've based these choices on the personal experience of real parents and kids, the voices of experts, and scouring many reviews on our favorite websites.