The Best Pregnancy Pillows According to Real Moms
Editor’s Note: We know raising kids can be hard. That’s why we’re dedicated to making your life easier with the latest and greatest parenting advice and products. We wanted to let you know that if you chose to purchase one of the items featured in this post, we may receive a small commission for it.
Pregnancy is full of joys and positives, but one of the downsides, especially as we near and enter the third trimester, is finding a comfortable sleeping position. As a belly sleeper myself, this was particularly difficult both times around, and I relied heavily on my pregnancy pillow for comfort.
We’ve compiled a list of the top seven pregnancy pillows out there to help you ease some of those aches and pains that come after a long day on your feet.
Whether you’re working all day or chasing another kid or two around, these amazing cushions are sure to help you relax.
While the pillows can’t do anything about multiple trips to the bathroom each night, these seven options will ensure that while you are resting, you are as comfortable as possible!
Our Top Picks
- Best Pregnancy Pillow All Around: Queen Rose U-Shaped Pregnancy Body Pillow at Amazon
- Best Pregnancy Pillow for Stomach Sleepers: Cozy Bump Pregnancy Bed at Amazon
- Best Pregnancy Pillow for Side Sleepers: Boppy Total Body Pregnancy Pillow at Amazon
- Most Versatile Pregnancy Pillow: Yogibo Caterpillar Pillow at Amazon
- Best Wedge Pillow: hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow Wedge at Amazon
- Best Budget Pregnancy Pillow: INSEN Pregnancy Pillow at Amazon
- Best Pregnancy Pillow for Hip & Back Support: YANZHI H-Shaped Pillow at Amazon
What to Consider When Purchasing Pregnancy Pillows
- Covers: Different fabrics have different textures and will feel different against your skin. Consider what type of fabric you find most soothing. Perhaps a soft and cozy jersey knit is your preference, or maybe you like something a little more textured, like a fleece or velveteen style. Most pillow manufacturers sell additional covers, so you shouldn’t have an issue if you decide you need to change yours up.
- Shape & Size: Depending on what you plan to use the pillow for or how you sleep, you may prefer one shape over another. Some pillow shapes are more versatile than others meaning you can use them as support for sitting up or lying in various positions, while others are designed with a specific function.
- Material: What’s on the inside matters in some cases. Foam, cotton pillow stuffing, memory foam, etc., will make a difference in how it feels when supporting you. You may prefer a firmer pillow over a super soft one as well. Again, consider what you’ll be using the pillow for and where you will need the most support.
- Washable: Is the pillow washable, or does it at least have a removable cover that is machine washable? You have enough on your plate and your tired feet shouldn’t have to worry about complicated washing instructions. Some of the pillows can go into the washer themselves (if your washer is big enough!)
- Cost: Like most things, cost should always be considered. The range of prices for pregnancy pillows can go anywhere from $20 to over $100, so you’ll have to carefully consider how much you are willing to spend and if a higher price tag is worth it.
How We Chose Our Favorites
We researched the various types of pregnancy pillows available and focused on what pregnant moms had to say about each pillow’s comfort, durability, and versatility.
We also looked at what the manufacturers had to say about why their pillow was the best and read to see if the reviews matched up.
Comfort was a significant factor in deciding which pillows made the cut because if they aren’t comfortable and helping mom sleep - then what’s the point?
After putting together the data from written reviews and conversations with actual moms (both currently and formerly pregnant), we have the definitive list of pregnancy pillows to help you ease into a night of restful sleep.
U-shaped pillows are a favorite among expecting moms because they provide relatively equal all-around support for the body. They can be bent and twisted into a variety of shapes to provide extra support where needed.
Warn your partner that you will be taking up a lot of bed space with this one, but in my opinion, it is worth it! This ultra-comfy u-shape pillow is the ultimate full-body pregnancy pillow providing simultaneous back and belly support.
I had a u-shaped pillow, and years later, we used it to lie on the floor next to my son’s toddler bed as he transitioned in case he fell out while sleeping!
“I was very skeptical about buying a pillow just for my pregnancy and resisted for a long time, instead arranging several regular pillows around me every night. But when sleeping started getting more uncomfortable around six months, I broke down and bought this based on all the great reviews, and it was the best decision I could have made!”
As a stomach sleeper, if I had known about this ten years ago, I probably would have tried it out! This inflatable pillow is actually a mattress with a belly hole cut out so you can sleep or at least rest face down. Some women mention placing it right on top of their regular mattress and using it at night, while others prefer to use it as a way to lay down and relax during the day. While this pillow may not replace sleeping in your own bed at night for all, it can definitely relieve some pressure on the back, hips, and pelvis and provide a comfy spot for belly sleepers to nap to accommodate that ever-growing baby bump.
“I can't even describe the sweet, sweet relief this pillow offers. You can just feel the tension pulling away from your back and the pressure releasing from your organs the second you lay down. I've never recommended anything so highly as I do this pillow!”
Boppy is a well-known brand in the pregnancy and baby universe, so it is probably no surprise that one of their pillows made our list. Many people are familiar with their nursing pillows, and their pregnancy pillows are just as great! The unique shape provides support in all the right spots when side sleeping and can help relieve some of that sciatic nerve pain that often accompanies pregnancy. It can also be adjusted to provide excellent back and elevated leg support while sitting.
“This pillow has been a lifesaver during my pregnancy. I was having huge problems getting decent sleep before, but now that I have been using the pillow, so much pressure has been taken off my hips and back. I also use it to sit up in bed to watch tv or lounge. Also great for mommas with indigestion and need to be elevated during sleep. The half pillow design keeps it from taking up our entire bed as others have in the past. I can get a great night’s sleep without disturbing my husband.”
This pillow is not a traditional pregnancy pillow, but pregnant women everywhere love it! It is so versatile because it can be bent and shaped in a variety of ways, and once the baby is born, it is an excellent postpartum tool to add to the baby’s room or play area. Because this pillow is so flexible, it provides full-body support. This unique support pillow has a removable and washable cover, which makes it even more user-friendly.
“It’s amazingly flexible and easy to keep in position when you have it where you need it. The cover is easy to keep clean with a damp cloth, the colors add a kick to my living room décor, and it's become indispensable in less than a week. Worth every cent!”
This was a brand that was new to me, but not to other moms out there! This memory foam wedge pillow has received rave reviews from pregnant mommas on its ability to reduce pressure off the lower back and reduce back pain while sleeping. It also increases blood flow to reduce swelling in your hands, back, and feet. Much less costly than the full-body maternity pillows on this list, its lower cost does not mean less support. The pillowcase is soft and washable and has a gentle, soft fluff to it.
“Would NOT be able to sleep without this pillow! It has become my best friend. This wedge plus a pillow between knees (aligning your hips), pillow under head (supporting your neck), and pillow to hold (keeping your shoulders and upper back more aligned) is a great way for transitioning from back sleeping to side sleeping while pregnant. As an exclusive former back-sleeper, this wedge has changed my life.”
Some full-body pillows can cost close to $100, if not more, and not everyone has that kind of cash lying around, especially with a new baby on the way. Even so, a mama-to-be needs to sleep! The INSEN pregnancy pillow provides a comfy c-shape for entire body support to help anyone get a good night's sleep. For about half the price of some of the other brands, this is one pillow your wallet can snuggle up with.
“I'm pregnant and I've been having lots of discomfort especially back pain. After using this pillow I have felt so much relief. The pillow is soft and can be used in so many different ways, I love this product and will recommend it to anyone whether you're pregnant or not.”
Pregnancy puts a strain on a woman’s hips and back. Increased weight and the shifting of muscles and a live human inside means we need some extra TLC in our lower back and hip, and pelvic region. Breaking form from the typical u-shape design, this unique pillow is designed for a pregnant mom’s hips and back. Cotton filling and a soft cotton cover make this great pillow easy to wash and soft to snuggle. The smaller pillow is detachable making this unique pillow even more versatile.
“This isn't big n bulky. It’s the perfect size, and it didn't need any fluffing to get it right. Right out of the box to bed… perfect, the little pillows are detachable and can travel with you if needed. I’m in love with this pillow.”
Preparing for baby? Check out our Ultimate List of Baby Must Haves.