These 10 tips are quick and mindless ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine.
10 Simple Things to Get Yourself Fitter
- Climb the stairs -- Start by getting out of the elevator two floors early and climb the rest of the way. Within weeks you will be running up the stairs two at a time. Stairs are great for firming your legs and bottom.
- Walk to work -- You'd be surprised how little extra time it takes, especially if you live in a city. Two miles should take you 30-40 minutes. It's probably quicker than the bus!
- Use your lunch-break -- In an hour, you've time to go for a swim, a jog, or just a walk in the park. Then eat your sandwiches and start the afternoon refreshed.
- Sit up and look -- See how many sit-ups you can manage in the commercial breaks on TV. You can rest while watching the program and then perhaps exercise again!
- Laugh out loud -- Laughter is good for your lungs. Don't just chuckle quietly, let yourself go and really work those lungs. Laughter has many benefits and makes you happy, too.
- Dig the garden -- Your grandparents probably kept fit working their garden. Growing your own food is great exercise, and it's fun to eat what you produce.
- Scrub the bath -- Using lots of elbow grease as you do your housework raises your pulse and gives your whole body a workout. Recognize the workout value of cleaning and you'll start to enjoy those chores.
- Jump up and down -- Do you remember doing jumping jacks at school? They're surprisingly good for you. See how quickly you can do 100. Tomorrow, try to do them faster!
- Beat a friend -- No, I'm not advocating violence. Competition or friendly rivalry will spur you both on to get fitter. It doesn't matter who's faster or stronger, if you both get fitter, you both win.
- Start now -- Stop thinking you'll do this later. Put the book down and get some exercise!