popular topics in outdoor safety
- Tick BitesAvoiding Tick-Borne DiseasesFrom Powassan to Lyme disease, ticks pose a huge health problem across the nation and parents need to know what to look for. In fact, according to Brad Leahy, Vice President of B.O.G. Pest Control, 2017 is predicted to be one of the worst tick se...Rebecca Desfosse
- Entertainment and Activities5 Drone Safety Tips for Your FamilyIs your tween or teen asking for a drone for a holiday gift this year? You’re not alone. Otherwise known as unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), drones have become all the rage for kids and adults alike, due to their increasing affordability, advan...Haden Kirkpatrick
- Pool SafetyReviving Someone Who Has Drowned or Swallowed WaterFirst Things First: If you suspect someone is drowning, notify a lifeguard and call for help. Do not waste anytime. Rescue is only half the job. Reviving someone who has drowned or swallowed water is the other half, and it's equally importa...
- Heat-Related SafetyPreventing Hot Car Deaths: 6 Facts & Tips for ParentsEvery year, between 30 and 50 children in the U.S. die from overheating in a vehicle. Most of those deaths are the result of a parent or caregiver forgetting a child — usually a sleeping baby or toddler — in the car on a warm or hot day. You ...Erin Dower
- Sun SafetyBest Sun-Safety Practices for BabiesThe sun's UV rays can be damaging year round, even when it is cloudy or cold, and your baby's thin skin burns much easier than an adult's does. Follow these sun-safety practices for babies to ensure your little one stays safe in the sun throughou...Lindsay Hutton
- Outdoor Safety10 Simple Steps to Avoid Summer HazardsWarm weather and schedule-free days make summer the most relaxing time of year, but it can also pose some hazards if you aren't careful. Keep your kids and family safe during these carefree days with this simple summer safety guide. And don't for...Lindsay Hutton
- Heat-Related SafetyHot Tubs and InfantsIt is not safe to bring a five-month-old into a whirlpool or jacuzzi-type bath that has a high temperature. ...
- AAP Says Interactive Screen Time Can Be HealthyWhen it comes to screen time and kids, it isn't all bad news. The American Academy of Pediatrics offers guidelines on how to make screen time healthy and educational.Curious World
- Tick Bites6 Tips to Avoid TicksTicks are small, eight-legged bugs, usually brown or black in color. They are the second leading carrier of diseases to humans, second only to mosquitoes. Warm summer weather makes ticks more active, so it is important to be extra vigilant when s...Lindsay Hutton
- Sun SafetyNo Such Thing as "Sunblock": Labeling Rules for SunscreensNo Such Thing as "Sunblock": Labeling Rules for SunscreensDid you know the words "waterproof," "sweatproof," and "sunblock" can no longer be used on sunscreen labels? Recent rules implemented by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are aim...Erin Dower
- Sun SafetySafest Sunscreens for KidsAre you looking for a natural, mineral-based sunscreen for your child? The EWG recently updated their list of best chemical-free sunscreens for 2018. And check out our Staff Picks video highlighting our editor's personal favorites! Editor's Note:...Lindsay Hutton
- Playground SafetySafe Surface Materials for PlaygroundsSafe Surface Materials for Playgrounds Gadget Guide Permanent rubbery mats are typically installed over concrete or asphalt as a foundation. Loose fill, like wood chips or gravel, however, should never be installed on concrete or asphalt. Safety...
- Head InjuriesYoung Athletes at Risk for ConcussionsIf your child plays an organized sport, you know the importance of wearing a helmet. But, new reports show your child's risk of getting a concussion are higher than ever before. Do you know what signs and symptoms to look for if your child suffer...Lindsay Hutton
- Sun SafetyYour Guide to Sunscreen for All AgesYour Guide to Sunscreen for All Ages Do you know what to look for in a sunscreen? Whether your little one has fair or dark skin, the right sunscreen is essential to help protect against sunburn and harmful UVA and UVB rays. Follow these important...Lindsay Hutton
- Water SafetySafe to Swim? How to Prevent Recreational Water IllnessSafe to Swim? How to Prevent Recreational Water Illness There's no better way to cool off on a hot day than with a swim. Swimming is a great way for kids to stay active and have fun during summer vacation, but it comes with some risks, too. Wheth...
- Pool SafetyPool Safety for KidsPool Safety for KidsPreventing Child Drownings In some of the nation's sunbelt, drowning has been the leading cause of accidental death in the home of children under 5 years old. The information below can help parents and caregivers provide young...U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Fact Monster - a safe online educational space for kids
Are you worried about your kids being online? Fact Monster is a KidSafe-certified site for your kids to get homework help, play games and watch educational videos. Check it out...and give Same Game a try yourself!
sponsored contentFamily Education
- Heat-Related SafetyKeeping it Cool: Preventing Heat-Related Illnesses in KidsKeeping it Cool: Preventing Heat-Related Illnesses in Kids With summertime right on the doorstep, most kids are looking forward to sunshine and outdoor activities. And while many parents are well-versed on the importance of sunscreen and skin pro...Lindsay Hutton