- Cardboard egg carton
- Tempera paints
- Pipe cleaners
- Construction paper
- Cut an egg carton in half lengthwise, then cut one of the halves in half again, lengthwise.
- Turn one of the halves upside down and paint with tempera paint.
- Attach pipe cleaners to the head for feelers.
- Cut wings from construction paper and decorate with paint or markers; staple to the side of the carton.
- Use your imagination to make variations; for example, use one cup of the carton to make a turtle or a ladybug, use three cups to make a bumblebee, or use a full half carton to make a caterpillar.