Green onions, or scallions, are easy to grow indoors from seed and are a nice addition to salads and other dishes.Materials
- Leakproof container, such as a large yogurt or cottage cheese tub or a small coffee can
- Potting soil
- Green onion seeds
- Spray bottle full of water
- Have your child fill a container about two-thirds full of potting soil.
- Sprinkle the seeds on top of the soil and cover them lightly with more soil.
- Spray the surface of the soil with water until it's completely damp.
- Place the container in an artificially lit or partially sunny place.
- Spray the containers regularly to keep the soil damp but not wet.
- Seedlings will appear in two weeks. When the plants are about three inches tall, thin them so the remaining plants are about an inch apart.
- When the stems are as thick as a pencil, the onions are ready to be picked.