This activity describes how to get children dancing creatively, using pages from a newspaper.
- 2 or 3 sheets of newspaper
There are many ways to create dances with a double sheet of newspaper.
- Open the newspaper and spread it on the floor.
- Skip around it; jump on it; run and leap over it; slither under it; swivel on it with your feet together.
- Now pick up the newspaper and wave it from side to side; run with it high in the air; throw it up in the air and watch it float to the floor; repeat and then try to imitate the movement pattern of the newspaper.
- Next, crumple the newspaper into a ball; throw the ball and catch it; roll it along the floor and follow on your hands and knees; stand up and dribble it with your feet; lie on your back and hold the ball between your feet how many different movements can you make?
- Finally, spread the paper out flat again; pick it up, and as you move from place to place, shred the paper into little pieces and toss them into the air like confetti; scoop up handfuls and throw into the air as you conclude the "newspaper dance."
Note: Be sure to pick up all the pieces of newspaper and take them to the recycling bin!