Activity for an individual child
Age group: 30-40 months
Duration of activity: 20 minutes
- 1 smooth stick or dowel rod
- 1 piece of string 2 feet long
- Small magnet
- Colored construction paper
- Paper clips
This fun game will help your child develop her eye/hand coordination while learning to identify colors. You need to closely supervise this activity at all times-the "fishing line" could wrap around your child, and the magnets and clips could pose a choking hazard.
- Tie the string around the end of the stick and then attach the magnet to serve as the hook.
- Cut the construction paper into fish shapes several inches in length.
- Attach a paper clip to the head of each fish.
- You can place the fish on the floor or put them in an empty aquarium.
- Show your child how to use the magnetized fishing pole to "catch" a fish. Have him identify the color of the fish he catches.