This nature activity teaches children how to build a birdbath in a window box.
- Wooden window box
- Flower seed or plants: zinnia, verbena, marigolds
- Potting soil
- Plastic container small enough to fit in the window box
If you live in the city or you want to see birds at your window, try a window box with a bird bath as the main attraction.
- Plant your selected seed or plants in soil in the window box, leaving room for the plastic container to fit in the middle.
- Fill the pan with water and place in the window box. If the water is over two inches deep, place a rock in the middle for birds to perch on.
- Rainwater is best, so whenever you can, collect it and save it to use when refilling the bird bath.
- You might want to string popcorn, berries, raisins, or nuts around the edge to draw the birds attention.