50+ Questions to Ask Your Kids to Get Them Talking
One of the biggest challenges busy families face is finding quality time to connect with one another. With work, school, extracurriculars, screen time, friends, and more all competing for time, parents can be left feeling unconnected as their kids quickly grow into themselves. Andy Zurcher, the co-founder of Kidiosity, states that 8 out of 10 parents feel like their kids are growing up too quickly, and 7 out of 10 constantly worry that they’re not creating lifelong memories with their kids. If that’s how you’ve been feeling, you’re far from alone.
As parents, we want nothing more than to see our kids grow independently and develop a personality of their own. However, it can easily feel like we’re being left in the dust. Sometimes when you’re just trying to connect with your child it’s easy for them to shut down, oftentimes hidden behind a screen. But having the right tools and questions to ask can help facilitate conversation.
Kidiosity is a brand new mobile app (and website) that provides families with easy activities, including daily conversation starters as a way to facilitate quality time with their kids. We love the idea of daily conversation starters that can easily be built into your routine. Whether it’s in the car on the way to afterschool activities, at the dinner table, or really anywhere, it’s a great way to make a slice of quality time to engage with your kids.
Open-ended questions give children time to think and be creative. However, you don’t want to overwhelm them by peppering them with questions non-stop. That’s why we think the idea of a daily conversation starter is so great. Kidiosity takes the guesswork out and provides you with that daily conversation starter, it doesn’t get much easier than that!
If you want to go beyond conversation starters, Kidiosity also provides unique activities with clear instructions to help you spend quality time with your kids. Even if you only have small slices of time, you can really make it count by engaging your kids in meaningful ways. If you’re interested in checking out Kidiosity, FamilyEducation readers can enjoy a free month trial. After that, it is only a $2 monthly subscription, which is a super affordable way to strengthen your family bond.
If you want to get your kids talking, these 50+ questions will help spark conversation. Feel free to answer them as well so you learn something new about each other!
What is your favorite…
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite book?
- What is your favorite song?
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your favorite joke?
- What is your favorite day of the week?
- What is your favorite time of year?
- What is your favorite thing to do with friends?
- Where is your favorite place to go on vacation?
- What is your favorite dessert?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
If you could…
- If you could eat one thing every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would it be?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
- If you could be any animal, what would you be?
- If you could be any age, what age would you be?
- If you could be a famous person for a week, who would you be?
- If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- If you could go back and do something differently, what would it be?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- When is the last time you made someone smile?
- Can you remember a time when you had a really good day?
- What do you feel grateful for today?
- What is something you are really good at?
- What are you most proud of?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Do you want to be famous?
- What made you laugh today?
- What do you worry about the most?
- What does it mean to be a good friend?
- What motivates you?
- What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
- What was the best part of your day?
- What is the last dream you had?
- What is something you are really looking forward to?
- What is something you want to learn how to do?
Would you rather…
- Would you rather play inside or outside?
- Would you rather be too hot or too cold?
- Would you rather read a book or watch a movie?
- Would you rather shovel snow or rake leaves?
- Would you rather have 3 arms or 1 leg?
- Would you rather live in the city or on a farm?
- Would you rather read minds or be invisible?
- Would you rather stay up late or wake up early?
Just for fun...
- What job would you never want to have?
- What’s the hardest part about going to school?
- Do you think it’s more important to be rich or kind?
- If someone gave you $50 what would you do with it?
- If you were the teacher, what rules would you make?
- What is the worst smell in the world?
- What is the best smell in the world?
- What 3 items would you grab if your house was on fire?
- What is the most annoying sound?
- What is the best gift you have ever received?
PRO TIP: These are perfect for a long car trip to keep kids distracted and entertained. For more ideas, check out our top tips for How to Keep Kids Busy While Traveling.
This article was sponsored by Kidiosity.