15 Gift Ideas for Two Year Old Boys
Editor’s Note: We know raising kids can be hard. That’s why we’re dedicated to making your life easier with the latest and greatest parenting advice and products. We wanted to let you know that if you chose to purchase one of the items featured in this post, we may receive a small commission for it.
- Curious about their surroundings
- Developing language and new words almost daily
- Quickly learning to problem solve
- Imitating those around them
- Establishing a sense of independence
- Learning to play make-believe
- Running, climbing, and kicking balls
More: Baby and Toddler Toys
You can foster all of these milestones by gifting age-appropriate toys. Our gift guide is great for rambunctious little boys, as well as reserved and introspective little boys. You want gifts that will last and grow with kids for extended use.
Our Top Picks
- The Best Fine Motor Gift - Skoolzy Nuts and Bolts at Amazon
- Best Gross Motor Gift - SoftScape Toddler Builder Block Set at Amazon
- Best Imaginative Play Gift - Meland Kids Camping Set at Amazon
- Best Green Toy Gift - Green Toys Train at Amazon
- Best Educational Gift - Wooden Puzzles for Toddlers at Amazon
- Best STEM Gift - Picasso Tiles at Amazon
- Best Musical Gift - Hape Pound and Tap Bench with Xylophone at Amazon
- Best Art Gift - Washable Tempera Paint Sticks at Amazon
- Best Building Gift - Creative Soft Building Blocks at Amazon
- Best Outdoor Gift - Lawn Mower Bubble Machine at Amazon
- Best Lego Gift - Lego DUPLO My First Number Train at Amazon
- Best Fisher-Price Gift - Fisher-Price Drillin’ Action Tool Set at Amazon
- Best Gift for hand-eye-coordination - Wood City Beehive at Amazon
- Best Bath Toy Gift - Giraffe Waterfall Set with Fishing Games at Amazon
- Best Vehicle Gift - Kidzlane Pull Back Cars at Amazon
What to Consider When Purchasing Gifts for 2-year-old Boys
- Consider the recommendations of daycare providers, family members, or pediatricians. The experts in your life can point you in the right direction and help determine what areas of interest and development are for 2-year-olds.
- Think about the kinds of things this child is interested in. If they love books and quiet art activities, gifting outdoor sports equipment might not be as appreciated. Check-in with parents to make sure you aren’t giving a duplicate gift that might end up in a donation pile.
How We Chose Our Favorites
We consulted with experts, parents, and special education educators to get the lowdown on what you need to know to choose the best sensory toys for kids with special needs. We also tapped into these experts' advice to find out which brands were best and easily available on Amazon.
These colorful jumbo size nuts and bolts are a great way for 2-year-olds to practice hand dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and strengthening of their fine motor skills. Kids will be able to practice shape sorting and color recognition as well since this set comes with four different shapes and six bright colors. Nuts and bolts can also be interchanged regardless of shape or color, so your toddler is sure to have endless amounts of fun.
When deciding on toys for 2-year-old boys, something to climb on is ideal. This one requires some room, so it might be wise to check with parents before gifting this block set. However, for toddlers who loving climbing, jumping, and developing their balance, these soft jumbo building blocks are a great gift. They can utilize their large muscles to manipulate and build, climb over and under, balance and wobble. Parents will love how durable and easy to clean they are, and that they are certified for low VOCs emissions into indoor air.
2-year-olds are just getting into imaginative play, and dress up is a huge part of that. We love this 24 piece camping set that provides kids with everything they need to set up their own pretend campsite. Kids will feel like true explorers with all of the included tools and supplies. Feel free to set up inside on a rainy day, or outside for extended play. Watching your little one’s imagination soar with this all-inclusive set.
Puzzles are an excellent educational toy for toddlers. This package comes with 8 colorful animals, all with 3-5 pieces, perfect for 2-year-olds. Puzzles help toddlers reinforce hand-eye coordination and problem solving, not to mention a sense of accomplishment! One of the best toys for little hands due to their large size and ability to be manipulated. A learning toy is still a fun toy, and these puzzles are no exception.
These magnet-style building blocks are one of our favorite open-ended STEM toys. When it comes to toddler toys, ones that help develop new skills are ideal, and these magnet tiles require steady hands and patience. These building tiles are colorful, sturdy, and so much fun to build and explore with. The great thing is that as children get older, their creativity increases and they will learn how to build more and more intricate structures and designs. This is a gift that will last for several years, and additional sets can be purchased if kids really get into them. If you have older siblings even a 10-year-old will engage and have fun. We bet that this will quickly rise to the top of favorite toys.
The messier the better when it comes to toddler boys, but that’s also why the mention of art projects has most parents cringing. These tempera paint sticks are an almost mess-free way to enjoy the vibrancy of paint without the cups of water and brushes. These paint sticks go on smooth and are quick-drying, but best of all, totally washable. Practice tracing ABCs or coloring in pictures together. Two-year-old boys will love creating special pictures to hang on the walls.
These soft building blocks are perfect for 2-year-olds who are learning to build but still need the support of blocks that interlock. If your toddler is still teething, parents don’t have to worry about these being gnawed on like they do with wooden blocks. Build a house for stuffed animals, or a road across the playroom. They are bright, soft, and easy to clean which is every parent’s dream.
This lawnmower bubble machine is a classic outdoor toy for bubble-loving toddlers. They can engage in pretend play while imitating mowing the lawn. Gross motor skills are also used while chasing down a stream of bubbles. Pair this machine with a large container of bubble stuff, and they will be set for a while!
2-year-olds are not usually quite ready for regular-sized legos, but DUPLO’s are a perfect size and a great introduction into the wonderful world of legos. This set has 23 pieces and is a great way to learn to count or reinforce number recognition. Follow the instructions to build a train, or let creativity take over, and stacking and crashing are sure to ensue. This playset is ideal for beginning lego masters.
Perfect for toddlers with budding imaginations, this toolset is a great gift. It comes with a drill, various bits, screws, and two wooden pieces for toddlers to practice with. They will love pretending to fix things around the house, and imitating what they observe. Chances are if something needs fixing, they’ll grab their drill!
This beautiful wooden beehive comes with 7 colorful bees and a set of tweezers. Toddlers can practice their hand dexterity as they use the tweezers to place and remove bees from their color corresponding hive. Whether as a birthday gift, holiday gift, or just because, 2-year-olds will have too much fun to realize they are learning!
What little boy doesn’t love splashing in the tub? Make bath time, playtime, with this fun waterfall set. Toddlers can practice their hand-eye coordination as they pour water into the top of the giraffe, and watch as the gears turn at the bottom before the water flows out of the spouts. They can also practice their fine motor skills and patience as they work to hook a fish on the included rod.
Pull back cars are nice and easy for 2-year-olds to manipulate, and this set of 4 is a great addition to their vehicle collection. Pull them back, and watch them fly across the room, your little tikes will keep coming back for more!