Meaning and Origin of: Van
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Dutch : Form of Von
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Dutch : Dyke
- Middle English : Dweller at the windmill
- American : Quiet
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Vietnamese : unexplained.
- Dutch (De Van) : metonymic occupational name for a winnower or a maker of winnowing fans, from Middle Dutch van(ne) ‘fan’.
- English : Western English variant of Fann.
- Czech (Vaň) : from a pet form of the personal name Václav, Old Czech Vęceslav (see Vacek).
- Ukrainian : from a short form of the personal name Ivan, Slavic form of John.