Girl name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : Little lamb, ewe; one with purity
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- German (mainly Bavaria) : probably a topographic name from Middle High German rach ‘rough’, ‘steep’.
- German : from a pet form of a Slavic personal name (see Rach).
- German : habitational name from a place called Rachel in Bohemia.
- French : metronymic from the female Biblical name Rachel, meaning ‘ewe’ in Hebrew. In the Bible (Genesis 28–35), Rachel is the wife of Jacob and the mother of Joseph and Benjamin.