Girl name origins & meanings
- Chinese : Goddess of compassion
Boy name origins & meanings
- Vietnamese : Dignified
- African American : Strong-willed
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Cúáin ‘descendant of Cúán’ (see Coyne).
- Chinese : from a word that means ‘coin’. During the Zhou dynasty (1122–221 bc) the coin official was an important functionary in charge of currency. Descendants of a coin official adopted the character as their surname. However, another character, , meaning ‘all’, pronounced identically, came to be used more often as a surname.
- Chinese : from the state of Quan, which existed during the Shang dynasty (1766–1122 bc). The name of the state is identical to a word meaning ‘power’. The Shang king Wu Ding granted the state to his grandson, whose descendants adopted Quan as their surname.