Boy name origins & meanings
- Latin : Little one
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Catalan and Occitan : from the personal name Pol, equivalent to Paul.
- Dutch : topographic name for someone who lived by a grassy mound, from Middle Dutch pol‘tussock’.
- German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : variant ofPohl.
- Polish : ethnic name or regional name meaning ‘Pole’ (see Polak).
- Polish : from a shortened or reduced form of any of several personal name containing the syllable-pol-, e.g. Polikarp, Hipolit, or Leopold.