Meaning and Origin of: Moss
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Latin : Dark-skinned; like a Moor
- Latin : Dark-skinned
- Hebrew : Drawn out of the water
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English and Welsh : from the personal name Moss, a Middle English vernacular form of the Biblical name Moses.
- English and Scottish : topographic name for someone who lived by a peat bog, Middle English, Old English mos, or a habitational name from a place named with this word. (It was not until later that the vocabulary word came to denote the class of plants characteristic of a peat-bog habitat, under the influence of the related Old Norse word mosi.)
- Americanized form of Moses or some other like-sounding Jewish surname.
- Irish (Ulster) : part translation of Gaelic Ó Maolmhóna ‘descendant of Maolmhóna’, a personal name composed of the elements maol ‘servant’, ‘tonsured one’, ‘devotee’ + a second element which was assumed to be móin (genitive móna) ‘moorland’, ‘peat bog’.