Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Son of the hero
- Celtic : Monk
- American : Strong-willed
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Mann
Family name origins & meanings
- English, German, Dutch (De Mann), and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : nickname for a fierce or strong man, or for a man contrasted with a boy, from Middle English, Middle High German, Middle Dutch man. In some cases it may have arisen as an occupational name for a servant, from the medieval use of the term to describe a person of inferior social status. The Jewish surname can be ornamental.
- English and German : from a Germanic personal name, found in Old English as Manna. This originated either as a byname or else as a short form of a compound name containing this element, such as Hermann.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from the Yiddish male personal name Man (cognate with 1).
- Indian (Panjab) : Hindu (Jat) and Sikh name of unknown meaning.