Meaning and Origin of: Man
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Son of the hero
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Chinese : variant of Wen 2.
- Chinese : from a character in the personal name of Hu Gongman, a retainer of Wu Wang. After the latter established the Zhou dynasty in 1122 bc, he granted the state of Chen to Hu Gongman, whose descendants adopted the second character of his given name, Man, as their surname. This character also means ‘Manchurian’, but the name does not appear to be related to this meaning.
- Chinese : variant of Wen 3.
- Chinese : variant of Wan 1.
- English and Jewish : variant spelling of Mann.
- Dutch : from Middle Dutch man ‘man’, ‘husband’, ‘vassal’, ‘arbiter’.
- French : from the Germanic personal name Manno (see Mann 2).
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from the personal name Man, derived from Yiddish ‘man’.