Girl name origins & meanings
- Scandinavian : Woman from Magdela
- French : Without good fortune
- German : Army counselor
Boy name origins & meanings
- English : Strong, little warrior, rowdy
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from the medieval female personal name Malin, a diminutive of Mall.
- French and Dutch : from the Germanic personal name Madalin, a short form of compound names with the initial element madal ‘council’.
- Serbian : patronymic from maly, Serbian mali ‘small’; compare Maly.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : metronymic from the Yiddish female personal name Male (a back-formation from Malka as if it contained the Slavic diminutive suffix -ke) + the Slavic metronymic suffix -in.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : habitational name from Malin, a place in Ukraine.