Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Linden tree
- German : Mountain of linden trees
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Scandinavian, English, Dutch, and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : topographic name for someone who lived by a lime tree, Middle English lind. As a Jewish and Swedish name, it is often of ornamental origin.
- South German, and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : nickname for a gentle, tolerant man, from Middle High German lint, linde ‘gentle’, ‘mild’.
- North German and Danish : habitational name from any of various places named with Lind ‘lime tree’.