Boy name origins & meanings
- Irish : Sporty
- Hawaiian : Strong and manly
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Dutch : nickname from kaal ‘bald’.
- English : habitational name from the villages of East and West Keal in Lincolnshire, which are named from Old Norse kjǫlr ‘ridge’.
- Perhaps an altered spelling of German Köhl (see Kohl).
- Indian (Maharashtra); pronounced as two syllables : Hindu descriptive nickname from Sanskrit kāla ‘black’, found among Brahmans, Marathas, and other communities. The Konkanasth Brahmans have a clan called Kale.