Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Settlement on the bluff
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from the popular medieval personal name Hudde, which is of complex origin. It is usually explained as a pet form ofHugh, but there was a pre-existing Old English personal name,Hūda, underlying place names such as Huddington, Worcestershire. This personal name may well still have been in use at the time of the Norman Conquest. If so, it was absorbed by the NormanHugh and its many diminutives. Reaney adduces evidence thatHudde was also regarded as a pet form of Richard.
- German : from a short form of a Germanic compound personal name formed with hut ‘guard’ as the first element.
- Variant spelling of German Hütt (see Huett).
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : metonymic occupational name from Yiddishhut, German Hut ‘hat’ (see Huth).