Girl name origins & meanings
- Latin : Blooming flower; flourishing
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings
- Latin : Flowering, blooming
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English : variant of Fleury.
- German form of a French Huguenot name, taken to the Palatinate by a family presumed to have fled from Fleury, France (but see Fleury).
- South German (mainly Austrian; also Flöry) : from a short form of the medieval personal name Florian.
- Joseph J. (1683–1741) and Mary Fleure and six children (including four sons) arrived in Philadelphia from the Palatinate in 1733 and settled in Lancaster Co. Two sons are the progenitors of the PA and MD Florys. One son moved to VA; his descendants Latinized their name as Flora.