Meaning and Origin of: Flower
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Latin : Blooming flower; flourishing
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : nickname from Middle English flo(u)r ‘flower’, ‘blossom’ (Old French flur, from Latin flos, genitive floris). This was a conventional term of endearment in medieval romantic poetry, and as early as the 13th century it is also regularly found as a female personal name.
- English : metonymic occupational name for a miller or flour merchant, or perhaps a nickname for a pasty-faced person, from Middle English flo(u)r ‘flour’. This is in origin the same word as in 1, with the transferred sense ‘flower, pick of the meal’. Although the two words are now felt to be accidental homophones, they were not distinguished in spelling before the 18th century.
- English : occupational name for an arrowsmith, from an agent derivative of Middle English flō ‘arrow’ (Old English flā).
- Welsh : Anglicized form of the Welsh personal name Llywarch, of unexplained origin.
- Translation of French Lafleur.